Add citations using the Identifier
The Identifier is a tool in the Zotero desktop software that locates and auto-generates citations based on ISBN, DOI, PMID, and arXiv ID.
To use The Identifier, follow the steps listed below:
- Select The Identifier button in Zotero. It looks like a magic wand:
- If you have a journal article, you will likely enter the DOI. That's the URL listed on many articles you can find online.
- The DOI typically begins with 10.1016/
- It is typically located somewhere on the page that describes the article;
- Copy the DOI, then paste it into The Identifier box; press enter;
- If valid, Zotero should automatically find and create a citation;
- NOTE: there is rarely a perfect citation. ALWAYS double check citations to make sure they are accurate.
For more help adding items to your Zotero library, see this webpage: https://www.zotero.org/support/getting_stuff_into_your_library